[lit-ideas] Re: Annie Proulx [antifreeze]

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:31:58 -0800

Andy Amago wrote:

But if the antifreeze is diluted, then I'm wrong. I always thought
ethylene glycol was a good way to manage one's life once one decided the
party's over. I'm not suicidal, just think everyone has the right to
choose their death. Of course the government for some strange reason
doesn't agree. Excruciating pain is not to be sought out. Maybe that's
why antifreeze isn't pure ethylene glycol, to keep people from using it.

Well, it's the ethylene that's diluted in the antifreeze. If you're thinking of it as a way out, drinking antifreeze will do, and it probably tastes much better than the straight stuff. I'm not sure what the last sentence means: antifreeze is lethal because it contains ethylene glycol as well as natural food coloring. You could terminally damage yourself with it easily. Seriously disturbed people use it to poison animals (further details omitted).

Robert Paul
Reed College