[lit-ideas] Re: Annie Proulx [antifreeze]

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:24:35 -0800

I somehow managed to send the first part of this before the message was finished. Here's the rest. (And now I'm done.)

I'd written that seriously disturbed people poison dogs with antifreeze but that I wasn't going to give details about how this is done: Lit-Ideas posts are accessible on the Internet to anyone, listmember or not.

To which it was replied that 'Seriously disturbed people do a lot of things, like invade countries for no reason. Nobody's championing all those animals in New Orleans who were killed by poisonous water that resulted from lack of preparation. The glee in your words "seriously disturbed" invalidates [sic] any seriousness in them.'

There have been tremendous efforts on the part of many organizations to rescue and house at least domestic animals. Your uninformed words are an insult to the volunteers on the scene and to the thousands who contributed equipment and funds to help with this.

To be seriously disturbed is to be seriously disturbed. It is another way of saying, in this case, that someone is seriously deranged. That both of these expressions can be used flippantly in casual speech does not mean that they were used flippantly here. The only reason I replied to your original post about dogs lapping up antifreeze and then getting 'stomach aches,' was to say that dogs who lap up antifreeze get more than stomache aches. They die.

Robert Paul
Reed College