[lit-ideas] Re: Amis Antithesis

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:54:31 +0100

LH>Normal Americans, for the non-sentient, are Americans who
LH> don't want to blow up other Americans.

and of course, normal non-Americans are so defined, yes?  The
one-sided US/UK extradition treaty was justified by the US as
being of use in cases of alleged terrorism.  But it has been used
by the US against financiers accused of, in effect, insider trading,
and against a young hacker.  The latter *might* receive a
brief prison sentence here, he may face a sentence of 50 years
in the US.  *And all the US has to do is say it has a case, it does
not have to **demonstrate** that it has a case.*

Why "one-sided"?  Because the US has not ratified the treaty, so,
only UK citizens are subject to it.  *Of course*.

LH>I looked all the way through my inbox for 9-18 & didn't find the article you
refer to.

that was a typo -- sorry -- I meant Common Article 3

LH>There is a debate about the interpretation of Article 3 of the Geneva
Convention.

Bushco want to redefine torture as "not anything they do", to escape
implications of the US Supreme Court's judgement.  I am aware of this "debate",
Lawrence.  It has made your country stink even in the eyes of Tony Blair