[lit-ideas] Re: Ahoy

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 16:39:18 -0800

Reading Bernard Cornwell's latest, I learned a little of the etymology of "starboard" today. Among Danes and Saxons and so on, "starboard" was the side of the ship on which the steor, or steering paddle was worked. Fine so far,

"Board" refers to the substance of which the sides of the boat are made. (Astute observers will note that the same substance is used for the rest of the hull. Yet we have"larboard," but only "bottom." No "bottomboard." )

Why "lar"? Lar, my SOED says, had earlier forms, "laddeborde," "latheborde, "leereborde," which may be connected to "load" or "laden" and was thus a reference to the side on which cargo was taken.

Thoughts or insights welcome.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon