[lit-ideas] Re: Agnotology

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:15:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/2011 7:24:59  A.M. , donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
quotes from an author he has corresponded with,  Sir Karl Raymond Popper, who
died in England sometime ago. He was from Austria,  originally.

"This gives a new twist to the Socratic idea of  ignorance."

----

I'm pleased Popper nods the history of ancient  philosophy.

Indeed, Hintikka, in his "Logic of Knowledge" proposes to  call "Socrates"
-- 'the agnotological agent'.

For Hintikka, it is a  theorem:

If S knows that p, S knows that he knows that  p.

---

K(S, p) --> K(K(S,p))

The agnotological reverse  is Socratic:

"I only know that I don't know diddly". (Greek,  'ouda').

The origin of Socratic 'wisdom' is based in Homer. Dodds,  professor of
Greek at Oxford, and author of "The Greeks and the Irrational"  writes:

"Homer, whom the Greeks worshipped, had the slightly irritatiing  habit of
explaining character or behaviour in terms of  "knowledge." The  most
familiar instance is his very wide use of the verb "oida" (aorist for,  "I
know")
with a neuter plural object to express not only the possession  of
technical skill but also what we should call moral character or  personal
feelings.

Thus, Achilles "knows wild things, _like a lion_".  Polyphemus "knows
lawless things". Nestor and Agamemnon "know friendly things to  each other."

"This is not merely a irritating Homeric "idiom". This  intellectualist
approach to  the explanation of behaviour set a lasting  stamp on the Greek
mind [and indeed on Grice -- see my "Ode on a Gricean Urn"]:  the
so-called Socratic paradoxes, that "virtue is knowledge"

The agnotological reverses being:

"Achilles "knows wild things,  _like a lion_".
----- "But YOU are like a lamb, and a TAMED one at that. Your  ignorance
(on _things_) never ceases to amaze me."

"Polyphemus "knows"  lawless things. But the things you ignore are lawful."

"Nestor and  Agamemnon "know friendly things to each other". But Adam just
_knew_ one  friendly thing _to Eve, for all we know, which may be nought."

JL