[lit-ideas] Re: Agnotology

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:50:39 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/2011 12:36:25 A.M. ,  jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx
writes:
I know nothing about agnotology.

----

In symbols

For any proposition, "p" that Geary doe not know, there is a claim to
knowledge, by Geary, that the set containing "p"'s is not vacuous.

"Is to speak of no thing a radical contradiction of reason and a betrayal
of the essense of language?  I don't know.  I just don't know.   And I don't
care that I don't know.  I don't know why I don't care.  I  just don't.
Mike Geary
affiming my ignorance"

Again,

Talking the proposition now to be:

"To speak of no thing IS a radical contradiction of reason"

Or to simplify,

"It is raining"

Geary writes:

"p"?

And answers, "affirming [his] ignorance."

"I don't know.  I just don't know."

Where the 'just' gets symbolised as a lambda-operator "it-cleft"
adverbially modifying the 'knowledge' counterfactive claim.

He adds, for emphasis:

"And I don't care that I don't know."

In symbols,

If "p" represents "It is raining"

---- "I don't know _if_ it is raining." (where 'if' has minimal scope: not
to be read as "If it is raining, I don't know")

and “~”

represents "not"

we have:

~(KNOW(Geary, it is raining).

The addition of 'care' is problematic from the logical-symbolic point of
view. It's, plus, "I don't care". Again, with

“~”

we now introduce 'care' (or 'not' care, strictly) as having maximal scope.
The utterance thus rendered as:

~(CARE, Geary(~(KNOW(Geary, it is raining)))

I don't know. I just don't know. And I don't care that I don't know.
I don't know why I don't care.

----

Here the addition is "hermeneutic" (in Von Wright's sense of the term). The
 reason-why, or know-why, denied by Geary, introduces yet a further
subordinating  clause. For simplicity reasons we will follow Geary in assuming
an
"and"  conjunctive particle ("And I don't know why I don't care").

In symbols:

~(CARE, Geary(~(KNOW(Geary, it is raining))) & ~(KNOW(Geary, ~(CARE,
Geary(~(KNOW(Geary, it is raining)))

Geary adds:

"I just don't." Meaning, he JUST doesn't know why he doesn't know why he
doesn't care that he doesn't know (that p)."

"Mike Geary
affiming my ignorance""

Our next workshop session will deal with Geary _denying his lack of
ignorance" and so forth.

JLS