[lit-ideas] Re: Agnotology

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:23:59 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2011 2:51:27 P.M.,  jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx
refers to

'ajar':

"1718, perhaps  from Scottish dialectal a char "slightly open," earlier on
char (early 16c.),  from M.E. char, from O.E. cier "a turn.""

McEvoy wrote:

"[If]  the "I know(1) I know(2)" is meant so that "know" (1) and (2) are
the self-same  mental state, ... the expression is redundant (and makes as
little sense as  'Please close the door which is the door"."

to which Geary  objected.

I know that p.
I know that I know that p.

Geary's  variants:
I ignore that p (e.g. "I ignore that the earth is flat")
I  ignore that I ignore that p.

The second claims in each case involves a  knowledge in _epistemics_ and
agnotology, respectively.

"I know that p"  just commits you to knowing 'that p'. "I know that I KNOW
that p" requires that  you should be able to expand on what 'knows' means to
you. E.g. justified true  belief.

Similarly,

"I ignore that p." (e.g. "I ignore that Paris  is the capital of France,"
to use Geary's example)

commits you to an  agnotological clain in _geography_.

The more philosophical,

"I  ignore that I ignore that p."

commits you to Proctos and his Agnotology  workshop at Stanford.

Agnotology is a branch of agnoiology,"the science  or ignorance, which
determines its quality and conditions and the doctrine  concerning those things
of which we are necessarily ignorant" (Ferrier,  19th-century author).

Cheers

JL