[lit-ideas] Re: Agnotology

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:19:51 +0100 (BST)

--- On Wed, 20/4/11, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The asymmetry seems to be that while KK makes a lot of
> sense:
>
> "I know she likes me; therefore I know I know she likes me"

This does not make a great deal of sense, hence an expression like "I know I
know she likes me" is a rarity outside of certain kinds of philosophical
discourse where it might be used to exemplify Hintikka's point.

Either the "I know(1) I know(2)" is meant so that "know" (1) and (2) are the
self-same mental state, in which case the expression is redundant (and makes as
little sense as 'Please close the door which is the door" etc) or (1) is a
further act of knowing in relation to (2), in which case the inference is
questionable - for surely I can believe/know p without being further of any
belief or knowledge as to whether 'I believe I believe'/'know I know' p. Etc.

I believe/know I said as much yesterday but remain open-minded as to whether
that means I believe that I believe that I believe that I believe that I
believe I said as much as yesterday.

Ldn