[lit-ideas] Re: Agnotology

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 20:54:53 EDT

Donal McEvoy wonders about symbolism.

In a message dated 4/19/2011 7:11:48 P.M. , rpaul@xxxxxxxx  writes:
It may seem to stumble over the indiscernibility of
identicals,  wherein, if
Myanmar = Burma
and Smith knows that (S) Myanmar is ruled by a  military dictatorship,
Smith ought to know that (P) Burma is ruled by a  military dictatorship,
so that
even though
that Myanmar is ruled by a  military dictatorship entails that Burma is
ruled by a military  dictatorship, it might seem that if Smith knows (S),
Smith knows (P); but  just in case
Smith is unaware of this identity, it doesn't. So he does not  know that
he knows that (P)..."

----

Excellent point. Of course the reverse (the "II" theorem,
"ignorance-ignorance" -- vide Geary, "I ignore what I'm ignorant of") does NOT
seem to
stumble over the indiscernibility of identicals.

JLS