[lit-ideas] Re: Aaaaaargh

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:20:22 -0400

Andy: ...success is something we do to get approval from others (read: parents) transferred onto the world at large.

That may well be the case with some people, but I think the world is too large and people too varied for all success-driven people to be pigeonholed as mommy- and daddy-pleasers. Some people succeed simply because they are doing what they love.

Andy: Society doesn't celebrate life.

Sure it does! All the time in ever so many ways! To say society only celebrates money is to make a gripe into an axiom. There's that tendency sure, but society is so large.

This List, for example, is a celebration of life. Contentious but celebratory.