[lit-ideas] A break from ponderous thought.

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:38:49 -0600

WISE GUISE
ACT 1  SCENE 1

Scene:  The reception / waiting area of the law office of Joseph Carpenter.
Typical business style sofa and chair and coffee table.  A
receptionist-secretary's desk.  No one is on stage.  There are two doors, one
the entry from a hallway and the other an inner door to the office of Mr.
Carpenter.  The entry door opens and 3 middle aged men -- Melchior, Balthazar
and Gaspar -- enter, they look around, Melchior and Gaspar look a bit confused
or uncertain.

MELCHIOR:  [dubious] This is the place?

BALTHAZAR:  (with supreme confidence)  Yes.  This is the place.

MELCHIOR:   You're sure?

BALTHAZAR:  I'm positive.

MELCHIOR:  [still looking around] That's what you said the last time.

GASPAR:  And the time before that.  [Gaspar puts the headphone to his Ipod in
his ear and tunes them out, goes and sits on the sofa]

BALTHAZAR:  That was not my fault.  I've explained that.  Given those signs, at
that point in time, knowing what we knew then, anyone would have come to the
same judgment.

MELCHIOR:  But you're 'anyone', you're supposed to know.  You're supposed to be
able to decipher these things.  That's why we brought you along.

BALTHAZAR:  I do know.  I can't help it if the signs are inaccurate.  I found
the signs, I followed the signs.  That's all any wise man can do.  There are
limits to wisdom, you know.

MELCHIOR:  You're sure this is the place?

BALTHAZAR:  Absolutely positive.  Can't you feel it?

MELCHIOR:  Feel what?

BALTHAZAR:  The feeling.  You know, the feeling.  This is the place.

MELCHIOR:  I just don't want to feel like a fool again.

BALTHAZAR:  Trust me.  This is the place.

MELCHIOR:  [with a sigh of resignation]  OK, then.  If you say so.

BALTHAZAR:  I do say so.

MELCHIOR:  OK, then.

(They join Gaspar on the sofa.  Gaspar on one end is swaying to the music he's
listening to, Balthazar in the middle sits cross-legged, hands cupping his
knee, Melchior on the end, elbow on the arm piece twirling his hair around a
finger.  Time passes, they sit, time passes, they sit, time passes, finally
Melchior asks:)

MELCHIOR:  Are you sure this is the right place?

BALTHAZAR:  [exasperated]  Why don't you ask Gaspar if you don't believe me?

MELCHIOR:  All right, I will.  (nearly shouting) Hey, Pardy, is this the right
place, what do you think?

(Gaspar, not hearing him, continues bobbing to the music)

MELCHIOR: God, I hate that damn thing.  There's no getting through to him when
he's plugged in.

BALTHAZAR: (matter of factly)  He's not plugged in.

MELCHIOR: What the hell are you talking about?  Are you blind?

BALTHAZAR: I took the battery out of the thing over a month ago.  He's just
imagining he hears music.

MELCHIOR:  "What?  It's all in his head?

BALTHAZAR:  Isn't everything all in our heads?

(Melchior reaches across Balthazar and pulls the head phone from Gaspar's ear.)

MELCHIOR:  Mr. B says you're only imagining that you're hearing music.

GASPAR: [aggravated]  I wish I could imagine not hearing you.  Your rancid
voice is last thing in the world I want to hear.  (He puts the headphone back
in his ear)

MELCHIOR:  Rancid? (He turns to Balthazar)  He said my voice was 'rancid'.

BALTHAZAR: Yes, I heard him.

MELCHIOR: How can a voice be rancid?

BALTHAZAR: It's hard to imagine, but then, Gaspar has a vivid imagination.

(They look at Gaspar who is bobbing to the beat of the music he's imagining.
No one says anything for what seems to be a long time, then Melchior speaks up)

MELCHIOR: I don't think this is the right place.

BALTHAZAR:  [with authority] This is the place.

MELCHIOR: So you say.

BALTHAZAR: So I know.

MELCHIOR:  So this is the place then, huh?  So?

BALTHAZAR:  So?

MELCHIOR: So what's supposed to happen now?

(Balthazar looks at Melchior with genuine surprise bordering on alarm)

BALTHAZAR:  What do you mean?

(Melchior looks at Balthazar with genuine surprise bordering on alarm)

MELCHIOR:  I mean why did we come here?

BALTHAZAR:  I have no idea.  I thought you knew.

MELCHIOR:  How would I know?

BALTHAZAR: You're the philosopher.  You're supposed to know that kind of stuff.

MELCHIOR:  [defensively]  No, I'm not.  I know how to tear arguments apart.
That's what I know.  That's my job.  You're the diviner.  You're the one who's
supposed to know unknowable stuff.

BALTHAZAR:  I'm a tour guide.  I know how to get to where I've got to.  That
all I know.

MELCHIOR:  [the horror dawning on him]  You mean we've come all this way for
nothing?

BALTHAZAR: [can't believe it]  Such a long journey.

MELCHIOR:  [self pitying] A cold coming we had of it.

BALTHAZAR:  Yes.  So hot it was.

MELCHIOR: So hot the highways would burst into flame under our feet.

BALTHAZAR:  The bus drivers grumbling, refractory, wanting our liquor and women.

MELCHIOR:  The silken girls bringing us sherbet.  Sherbet.  Who likes sherbet I
ask you.

BALTHAZAR:  [finding a moral to all this, declaims]   But set down this.

(brief pause)

MELCHIOR: This?

BALTHAZAR:  Yes.  This set down.

(brief pause)

MELCHIOR:  Yes?

BALTHAZAR:  Yes, this.

MELCHIOR:  Yes what?  What this? What yes?

BALTHAZAR:  What?

MELCHIOR:  What what what what what?

BALTHAZAR:  What are you talking about?  Set down this, I said.

MELCHIOR:  [screams] Jesus Christ!

BALTHAZAR:  Yes.  That's it.

(the inner door opens, enter Joseph Carpenter)

JOSEPH:  Ah, I thought I heard someone out here.

BALTHAZAR:  See, I told you this was the right place.

©  Mike Geary