[lit-ideas] Re: A Snowball's Chance in Hell (Was: Negative Polarity)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:31:44 EDT

"I could care less" is my number one pet peeve, linguistically.  Second to
that is the use of "thankfully".  "Thankfully, the storm has lessened...."  (it
was thankful as it lessened?).  The problem is no one teaches grammar anymore.
 We've finally reached the point where the students who were taught w/out
grammar referentials are now teaching.  I could routinely red-line even my
kids'
best teachers' notes home.  Add to that the internet influence (G2G lylas U2
WE) and we'll be back to cave-man grunts before you know it.

Julie Krueger