[lit-ideas] Re: A Short Poem About Glory

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:11:58 -0500

DR:

People say, off-list, and once again, that I'm far too cryptic.

Nonsense. Those people obviously don't read Japanese poetry. When I read the poem I liked it because I didn't know on first reading what you were talking about. It caught my eye and piqued my curiosity. I guessed you were celebrating the experience of tending to things, even beyond their needs -- even to their detriment? -- celebrating the tending itself which brings a satisfaction, joy, sympathy with being -- a sentiment to which I subscribe even if my laziness precludes it. If your scent intent is important to your reason for writing it, then a hint of it might be helpful.

Unable to out-do Mike with quality, I'm adopting the Wal-Mart strategy: volume.

God, I do love compliments, but if there's any quality to my work it's pure accident. Very pure. Thanks anyway.

Keep plowing and planting, Paisano.

Mike Geary
Memphis