[lit-ideas] Re: A Question REALLY Answered

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:09:27 +0000

Tuesday, December 27, 2005, 3:22:13 AM, Andreas Ramos wrote:

AR> The quote from the magazine is about the usage of rifle
AR> scopes. They're not talking about
AR> snipers, which is an entirely different skill. This is just
AR> ordinary scopes on rifles. Iraqi
AR> don't know how to use scopes.

I bet a lot of the people from their Army (who presumably aren't
allowed to join the new one)know how to use scopes.

Did he mean the ones joining now don't know how to use scopes till
they're taught to?  If so then Iraq is (from that point of view)
perhaps rather like the UK (few gun clubs, few hunters, gun control).
That kind of thing is something that has to be learned (I'd say)
either through practice or by reading about it.

But

"Iraqi citizens will be required to turn over automatic weapons
and heavy weapons under a proclamation that allied authorities
plan to issue this week, allied officials said Tuesday.

The aim of the proclamation is to help stabilize Iraq
by confiscating the huge supply of AK-47s, machine guns,
rocket-propelled grenades and other weapons that are used by
criminal gangs, paramilitary groups and remnants of the Saddam
Hussein government."

(February 2003)

I take it they were allowed to retain ordinary guns.

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx