[lit-ideas] Re: A Field-Trip (with Lit-Ideas)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 10:30:56 -0800

On Mar 4, 2009, at 5:23 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

[SECOND-DAY OF FIELD TRIP]

I would mention the invasion of the Brits to Buenos Aires (failed): in 1806
and 1807.

[THIRD DAY OF FIELD TRIP]

After a circuitous tour of Boring, Liberal and Wanker's Corner, we pop into Voodoo Donuts for lunch and a quick wedding ceremony (participation optional). While the traffic is relatively quiet, we then run over to Fort Vancouver to examine a reconstruction of the fort pretty much as it would have looked, on a site that is pretty near where the fort once stood. We ignore freeway noise and concentrate instead on the beaver fur press, which is vital to an understanding of London's top hats and how the attempt to keep Americans away by creating a fur desert ultimately failed due to bad timing. Had beaver top hats gone out of fashion earlier, this area might still be British. Or not. Nodding to the ghost of John McLoughlin, we celebrate one hundred and fifty years of Oregon statehood with fresh drafts from a firkin of Bridgeport IPA.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/50th/McLoughlin/mcloughlincareer.html
http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon