[lit-ideas] Re: A D is a B...

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:52:50 -0600

At the large suburban community college just outside Chicago where I teach, the student handbook had, until recently, the following description of what a "D" grade meant:

   Grade of D:

      1. Below average examination scores but high enough to show
         better-than-chance responses.
      2. Assignments completed in imperfect form or not completed on
         time; quality of work is marginal.
      3. Shows grasp of individual units of subject matter but little
         evidence of inter-relationships.
      4. Shows some application of material, but with little insight.
      5. Is a passive listener rather than an active participant in
         class discussion.
      6. Complies with the attendance regulations of the college.

Notice #1: To pass an exam you need "better than chance" responses. That would mean an "F" would typically be a 25% score on a multiple choice exam with four possible answers. That would mean a "D" might be anywhere from 26% to mayber 40%. Of course I don't know many faculty that could grade an essay on whether it had "better than chance responses" so in practice this standard doesn't really mean anything. Further, I suspect that a test from Brown University on Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics might be more difficult to start with than an exam at my school, so 25% on the Brown exam might be the equivalent of 75% on an exam here.

Grades have some meaning, but over-all what they mean is that a student was able to jump through LOTS of hoops put up by LOTS of teachers and was either reasonably successful, hence a "good" job candidate, or not too successful, therefore perhaps not as "good" a job candidate. Grades are an "academic horsepower ratio;" they measure the amount of work OUTPUT from a student, but do not realistically measure what a student got out of the class. When I give a grade, I try to think of it as my appraisal of the student's output compared to what I think the reasonable expectation of what a student at that level should be able to accomplish. But I also try to help students evaluate the class in other ways besides the grade.

Exams are fascinating. It astounds me that few educationalists have studied exams. They should be a very good way to understand how educationals standards have changed over the years, but I'm not able to get very far if I start asking about what kinds of exams colleges gave over Aristotle in years gone by; nobody seems to have made a collection of them aside from individual faculty members.

What got me interested in exams is coming across the 1932 "Entrance Exam" for Chicago Normal College in a used book store. Many college students could not pass parts of it as an EXIT exam from college today, especially if the questions were not from their major field. (I put the exam on line; it's now here: http://academics.triton.edu/uc/1932test.html .

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Your system is generous. Here
anything over a 90 is an A
anything over an 80 is a B