[lit-ideas] Re: A Cure for What Ails Us

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, democratsabroadjapan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DemsAbroad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, PCDA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:15:13 -0700

> Read the latest polls and felt sick to my stomach.

ck: John, all the polls announced over NPR in California, for the past
couple of weeks, have indicated that Kerry is significantly behind Bush,
particularly since the Republican convention--and that nearly half of all
Americans still believe that 9/11 was because of Saddam.

That's why I posted my query about Bush running "unopposed." I do not
understand why the Dems are continuing to hit Bush in such irrelevant (to
voters) areas as his Air Force Reserve record, instead of attacking the
misinformation the admin continues to assert as truth. How much money the
Dems spend on ads from now until the election isn't the point, if the
message in those ads isn't about issues that voters care about. Iraq is one
issue that's working for Bush, when the truth of the war could pull him
down, if only Kerry's team put some real energy into it.

So I wonder, again, what's keeping Kerry from shoving the 9/11 commission's
report into Bush's face?  A certain percentage of American voters will
always vote for the incumbent, particularly if extra framing makes it
seem/feel that voting against the incumbent is tantamount to voting against
the president (the office). The Dems need to make this basic distinction  as
clear as Cheney, in the opposite direction.

You and I may take this for granted, but in the heavily Hispanic and Hmong
town where I live, it's unthinkably unpatriotic to assert that the highest
US politician of this democratic country is not necessarily telling the
truth. We're talking about a lot of voters--relatively new ones, and their
kids--for whom the US government *is* the president.

Hey, but even old, Nation-reading folks like me are not impressed by the way
Kerry's getting bashed, even on such liberalish media as NPR. Non-committed
Dems might be wondering, then, whether Kerry is capable of talking the rest
of the world into collaborating with the US on diplomatic solutions to armed
conflict. Kerry's style of campaigning, so far, indicates that he gives the
farm away to the guy with a bullhorn, and then runs off sniffling and crying
foul.

You've gotta really loathe Bush to vote for Kerry as this Dem is portraying
himself in this campaign's action and rhetoric! Really, "tax-and-spend
democrats"--with THIS DEFICIT?  Yet the Republicans got away with it!
Carol,
at 105 degrees and warming