[lit-ideas] Re: 9th edition of the EB

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:02:49 -0500

I had this same experience when I bought (quite a few years ago now) the complete National Geographic. It was quite difficult to use, sometimes unreadable when you found what you wanted, generally too much trouble. Better to sit in the library stacks and xerox what you wanted. The indexes are useful, though. Ursula, writing about the immorality of God for a lecture at 8:30 tomorrow morning. Or maybe it's my puny understanding....

Lawrence Helm wrote:

So one must go to the Index, Volume 25, find which volume the article you want is in, e.g., volume 4; close Volume 25 and open Volume 4. The page number you copied down from the Index will not help you find this article with any accuracy in Volume 4 because the page numbers in the Encyclopedia do not match the page numbers in the Adobe Reader.

There seems to be room for improvement here.

Lawrence