[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 06:10:44 EST

Hello  eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
In reference to your  comment:

*The Literary Guide to the Bible* ed by  Alter &
Kermode

I haven't seen anyone refer to this title in years.  I thought I  was perhaps
the only living person with a copy on my shelf.  I refer to it  often.  What
did you think of it?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading
lists  Date: 1/3/06 4:10:09 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here's some of the better fiction and literary
things I can remember reading in 2005. There's no
order or ranking here.  It's just a list.

*Smuggler's Bible* by Joseph McElroy
*Best Short  Stories 2004* elected by Laurie Moore
*Yellow Dog* by Martin Amis
*The  Information* by Martin Amis
*Visiting Mrs Nabokov: And Other Excursions* by
Martin Amis
*The Limits of Interpretation* by Umberto Eco
*Pacific and  Other Stories* by Mark Helprin
*The Death of the Heart* by Elizabeth  Bowen
*The Death of Artemio Cruz* by Carlos Fuentes
*The Test of Time* by  William Gass
*Atonement* by Ian McEwan
*The Other Stars* by Rachel  Wetzsteon
*A Pale View of Hills* by Kazuo Ishiguro
*Independence Day* by  Richard Ford
*The Name of the World* by Denis Johnson
*The Rush for Second  Place* by William Gaddis
*Apape, Agape* by William Gaddis
*Lolita* by  Vladimir Nabokov (yearly reading)
*Elementary Particles* by Michel  Houellebecq
*The Platform* by Michel Houellebecq
*The Literary Guide to  the Bible* ed by Alter &
Kermode
*Call It Sleep* by Henry  Roth
*Immortality* by Milan Kundera
*The History of Luminous Motion* by  Scott Bradfield
*The Voyage of the Narwhal* by Andrea Barrett
*Memoirs of  an Anti-Semite* by Gregor von Rezzori
*Murphy* by Samuel Beckett
*The Time  of Our Singing* by Richard Powers
*Homeland* by Sam Lipsyte
*The Subject  Steve* by Sam Lipsyte
*What Was Mine* stories by Anne Beattie
*The  Collected Poems of Hart Crane*
*Mefisto* by John Banville
*Wittgenstein*  by PMS Hacker
*The Love of a Good Woman* by Alice Munro
*Seven Nights* by  Jose Luis Borges
*Forge* by Ted Mathys
*Perspectives by Incongruity* by  Kenneth  Burke