[liblouis-liblouisxml] Welcome to New Members

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Moderator <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:48:09 -0600

Quite a few of you have signed up in the last day. I am looking forward
to your work and your ideas. Let's beat Duxbury! As you may know,
liblouis is a braille translation and back-translation library written
in
C. liblouisxml is also written in C. It provides formatting, starting
with xml documents and using liblouis for translation. The xml2brl
program is a command-line interface which calls liblouisxml. There is
also a front-end for Mac OS X called Louis. I hope to have a port to
Windows and a Windows front end soon. Bindings for various high-level
languages such as Python and Java will also eventually be available.

liblouisxml is designed with technical material particularly in mind. It
will translate MathML to braille mathematical codes. Tables for Nemeth
are now available and work on other mathematical codes is proceeding.
Eventually I hope to handle SVG graphics, chemistry and music. This is
ambitiou, but it is within our reach. xml implementations for all of
these already exist.

John J. boyer; President, Chief Software Developer
JJB Software, Inc.
http://www.jjb-software.com
Madison, WI USA