[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Setting up a Development Branch for liblouis

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:03:06 +1000

Hi John,

Not sure if you've figured this out already...

The basic idea with branching in svn is to create a copy of the trunk at the current revision. Something like this: svn cp -m "Branching development for new bracket manipulation code." https://liblouis.googlecode.com/svn/trunk https://liblouis.googlecode.com/svn/branches/bracketManipulation
Now, you can check out a copy of your new branch into a new working copy:
svn co https://liblouis.googlecode.com/svn/branches/bracketManipulation
You can also switch your current working copy between various branches; see the switch command for info. I personally prefer to have multiple working copies.

Merging in svn is a bit of an imprecise job, but assuming there aren't conflicting changes, it should be relatively simple. I can provide more details on that when it comes time to merge.

Jamie

On 29/05/2009 6:42 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
For the past few weeks I have been figuring out an algorithm for adding
and removing brackets of various types. This is necessary for math codes
like UK, Marburg, French, etc. Soon I hope to begin implementation.
However, I don't want to "pollute" the production version of liblouis
with code that will assuredly be buggy for a while. So I want to set up
a development branch in svn. Meanwhile, the trunk will probably receive
bug fixes and maybe some new opcodes. I have the book Version Control
with Subversion. However, I would appreciate some advice from experts so
I can get the branch right the first time and later merge it correctly
into the trunk.

James Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web site: http://www.jantrid.net/