[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: LibLouis table for six-dot Esperanto

  • From: OlegShevkun <oleg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Aaron Cannon <cannona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:04:14 +0400

I do have one of these. And, I am pretty sure it has been converted to an electronic format. In 1995, a few copies were embossed in Russia, using an old Everest embosser. Hence, it might be possible to dig out the original file. I assume it's going to be some awkward Russian encoding from the 90s; but that could be handled with a simple one-to-one conversion.

Let me work on this and get back to you. Or, alternatively, if you don't hear from me within a week, just drop me a line again.

Thank you!

Oleg

On 7/17/2012 5:33 PM, Aaron Cannon wrote:
Do you know who might have one of these?  I assume it's not available
for sell anywhere, but I'm wondering if it might be available for
loan.  I would love to see this converted to an electronic format.  It
would be quite unfortunate if it were to be lost.

Thanks.

Aaron

On 7/17/12, OlegShevkun <oleg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

Unfortunately, at least to my knowledge, such document does not exist.
As far back as 1931, there was a publication outlining the standard of
that time, and it was slavishly reprinted in 1989. All of these exist
in  braille only, and  I have not found  an electronic version.

As for punctuation, you can safely follow the English standards, with
the  exception of the question mark, which should be dots 26. And, of
course, capitalization is dots 46.

Oleg

On 7/17/2012 6:56 AM, Aaron Cannon wrote:
Hi.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to track down an official defining
document for Esperanto Braille.  I haven't even been able to discover
whether or not such a document even exists.

I am CCing another individual who might be able to shed more light on
the situation.

Thanks, and sorry I can't be more help.

Aaron

On 7/16/12, Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Aaron,

Did you get a chanse to see the below email?

Thanks
-- Mesar
On Tue 10/07/12,10:26, Mesar Hameed wrote:
Hi Aaron,

Do you have full access to the formal braille standard for esperanto?
Could we possibly get a copy?

There are several punctuation/math symbols that should be defined.
# | \ / [ ] { } @ ~ < > =

Would you be able to find them for us please?

Many Thanks,
Mesar
On Mon 09/07/12,09:13, Aaron Cannon wrote:
Perfect.

Thank you!

Aaron

On 7/9/12, Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon 09/07/12,08:36, Aaron Cannon wrote:
The problem with the line:
include latinLetterDef6Dots.uti
is that the w in Esperanto braille is not 2456.  Actually, there is
no
W in the Esperanto alphabet, but it still has a representation in
Braille because it can appear in "foreign words".

2456 is the j with circumflex.  W is 23456.  If there is a way to
override a symbol from an included table, then you can use the
latinLetterDef6Dots.uti file, as the w is the only one that is
wrong.
Sorry for the mistake, now fixed in svn 721.

I am fairly certain that this table should replace the 8-dot table,
as
I know of no 8-dot Braille code.  To the best of my knowledge, the
six-dot Esperanto Braille code is the only one that has ever been
defined and used.
Ok, have also renamed it eo-g1.ctb to be closer with the naming
schema
we
are currently using, hope this is ok.

Thanks,