[leveller] Re: 32-bit systems are passe, right?

  • From: Ray Gardener <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:12:46 -0800

Yeah, that's a good amount towards a new PC. One can get a lot of modern oomph for under a grand. And if you're going to get more than 4GB of RAM to take advantage of the larger address space, why not pair it up with a newer CPU.

I was thinking of maintaining both 32- and 64-bit versions, but it seems that CPUs (and now that MS is dropping support for XP) and operating systems are pretty much 64-bit now -- workstations anyway -- so I'm not sure it's really necessary.

Not that I expect to make the change overnight, but possibly this year.

Ray

On 7/31/2010 2:20 AM, Chris Dordoni wrote:
Hi Ray,

I'm still on 32-bit, but plan to switch to 64-bit within 6 months. Hopefully
that will be with a new computer and Win7. I was considering upgrading my
current system to Win7, but that's $200 since I need XP compatibility for a
few older apps. Probably better to put that $200 into a new system with XP
compatibility.

Chris