[lektrik_flyers] Re: NOTAM

  • From: "Lamb, Joe" <joe.lamb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lektrik_flyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:35:51 -0400

Well, that SE-5 that I've been threatening to build finally arrived on
my doorstep - where it sat from before noon until I got home from the office at
around midnight.

I'm really impressed with the quality of the wood in the kit. Some of the
Guillow's kits I've bought from Hobby Lobby have probably been sitting on the
shelf since Jimmy Carter was a farmer and might as well have been pine. This
one is really nice.

I was struck again by how ugly the SE-5 is. Hopefully it'll turn out ok 'in the
flesh' but the 3-views aren't doing the design any favors.

Maybe I should have chosen an Albatross...

Anyway, I'm going to get started after a few more nights of =
visualization and meditation on where everything should go and how to build a
wing strong enough to take the punishment I'm undoubtedly going to dish out on
it while still being super-light.

I'm thinking basswood for leading edge material and some sort of
lite-ply diherial brace, but I don't know for sure.20

I've been reading up online about other similar projects, and a lot of people
cover with tissue, then just spray on a coat of Krylon enamel straight out of
the can. Has anybody had any luck with this? Wouldn't it be really heavy?