[lektrik_flyers] Re: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Plane

  • From: "Lamb, Joe" <joe.lamb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lektrik_flyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:15:56 -0500

I'd like it if fuel cell technology made it into our little hands that quick,
but can anybody guess what happened the last time hydrogen and aviation mixed?

Yep, Hindenburg.

The Christmas Rabbit was pretty good to me this year, and it looks like I'll
have the money to order some fancy micro-RC gear to necessitate the
long-overdue build phase of my still-boxed-up SE-5 project. To further
complicate matters, my girlfriend, in her infinite patience and understanding
of me "playing with toys," bought me the Guillows Nieuport 11 kit.

I don't think it's as good a candidate for R/C, what with it's utter lack of
fuselage forward of the top wing's leading edge and the inexplicably tiny lower
wing. I don't know what those frog-eaters were thinking when they decided their
airplanes needed only token nods to the idea of lower wings, but it can't be
good for flying models. ... makes for a good-looking airplane though.

If my SE-5 suffers an illigetimate landing, I might build the Nieuport as my
next R/C project anyway. If difficult is too tough, go for impossible, I say.
Damn the torpedos. A balsa-sheeted WWII converted freeflight kit is also a
little too tempting to ignore for more than a few years.

Hopefully, I'll start gluing stuff together soon. And this time, I mean it.

Happy new year,
Joe