[LRflex] Re: was: in the neurosurg OR...Now B&W or color

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:16:03 -0700

On Jun 6, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Andy Wagner wrote:

Ted, Steve
IMHO it doesn't matter whether it is color or B&W- it is content and what the artist wishes to convey. Steve has combined the two passions in his life and mastered them both-each of the pictures below conveys a specific feeling. The medium used to convey really didn't matter it was the impact. I've noted below exactly what drew me into the shot. Tell me if you are seeing the same.

I agree, the whole color bw issue has been somewhat over done I believe, to the detriment of the message, the content... it depends what you are trying to say...(and I'm primarily a bw shooter)

if there is nothing ! to say besides "look at the color"...then a) is it worth saying ? and b) the color had better be good...

Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve Barbour showed:
Subject: [LRflex] in the neurosurg OR...
images from the last few days...with the neurosurgeons.

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/gregl2

Here it was the eyes you can just about feel the intense concentration of the surgeon.

yes

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/opening

Here it is the hand that leads me in and then the tube or whatever it is that takes my eye down to the patient's scalp for a look see as to what is happening

and you can see the bone flap of the skull, cut and being lifted up

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/threehands_001

this one to me is very powerful--I'm first drawn to the bright spot on the hand on the left at which piont I'm lead down into the picture by the v formed by the two tools. As I linger there I get the feeling of the delicate touch and steadiness of the hands

agree...delicate/security

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/hands4

If there was a weak picture in this series--this would be it. The black hose splitting the bright spot distracts--but it still leaves you wondering as to what is going on.

the bright spot is the hole in the skulll and the brain below...

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/spritz2

Now this picture does convey a whole different feeling As a lay person and never having been in an operating room awake my preconcieved notion of an operating room is one of squeaky clean, sterile etc etc.(even though I know better)

it is squeaky clean and sterile.... but blood and tools etc..are another thing...

it's a sterile, clean workshop

This image goes against what I concieved. I was drawn to the tools on the left because of the line formed by the three tools, then I was pushed back into the picture by the hammer ready to strike-kinda like "smack!!! get back in there you ain't done looking yet" Now here is where the color part comes in, because if it were in B&W I would probably miss the blood droplets flying throught the air

agree with you...Steve

Ok that's my 2cents worth

Regards
YXAndy