[LRflex] Re: walk around lens R3 (was: Anyone using Angenieux)

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:38:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi Axel,
   I'd like share an 'other thought' about something in your inquiry about a
walk around lens for your R3. While you've got a couple of nice Nikon Primes,
they don't fit very well on your Leica R3. Yes - there is merit in the goal of
not 'overlapping' your Lens 'Kit' very much - However, you're not going to be
casually walking around with all your camera bodies hanging off your neck and
all their associated lenses tucked in a bag weighing you down.
   As for choosing which R mount lens to choose for walking around, I'd suggest
asking what kind of 'walking around' is it you most frequently do. How much
light is there? Is it off exploring some locale on a Saturday afternoon or a
Sunny Vacation someplace? Is it heading out late in the afternoon and ending up
at a bar/pub/restaurant with friends or family?

Fair bit o' light for shooting = Zoom
Less Light &/or Low Light = Prime

Personally, I distinctly consider a mid-range prime lens to be an exceptional
'walk around' lens and getting a 50 Summicron would be an Emphatic Suggestion
on
my part! Note: Unless you've got a 50 'Lux in you 'Kit' already. I also highly
respect zoom lenses and especially the better ones, but my first priority is to
have at least one semi-fast prime in the bag. There is tremendous benefits from
the aesthetics, the discipline, and the process, a Prime Lens brings to ones
photography that extends far beyond their 'usual' image quality advantages.

Hope my inputs have helped in some manner.
Richard in Michigan

"At the moment i lean toward the leica 35-70 f4, because i already own very
nice nikon 35mm and 50mm 1.8 primes, but i do not own a zoom in that range.
Other thoughts ????"

A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought.
There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor.
- Victor Hugo