[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #74

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:51:00 +0000

Hi Bill et al
The bird in the water is a Lapwing; a wader, vanellus vanellus.  It's a
member of the Sandpiper/plover group.  also known in the UK as a Peewit
- because of its cry.

I'd like to apologise to everyone about the reams of code.  I don't know
what went wrong there - it didn't do that last time!  Since the last
time, I have installed Firefox browser, and Yahoo Photos doesn't like
Firefox v 2; so I sent from Yahoo, and initially the forum rejected the
e-mail, because it wasn't from my direct e-mail.  then I forwarded it as
an attachment, and you see the result.  VERY ANTAGONISING, isn't it?  I
will have to find another way.

I'd like to make some comments about the photos.
They were taken with my Fuji S5600, although I took a film with the
Leica too.  I found the Fuji difficult to use, because most subjects
were moving quite quickly, and its focus couldn't keep up.  As if that
weren't enough, it didn't like focussing on the birds - it preferred the
background!!  I read the handbook again, only to find that it recommends
manual focus for moving subjects.  So much for technology.  The Leica,
however, with the 80-200 Vario Elmar was great; easy to track the moving
birds with both zoom and focus.  Next time, I shall take a tripod and
500 mm lens.  And leave the Fuji at home (I didn't buy it for this sort
of photography anyway).

When I have an hour to spare, I'll put on some of the Leica shots.  But
I have to scan them in.

Regards
all
Keith
PS - the Lapwing photo is now my screensaver.