[LRflex] Re: in the neurosurgical OR...4 images

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:22:04 -0700 (PDT)

Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jun 5, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Andy Wagner wrote:

Fascinating and thought provoking Andy, I thank you very much...I must
say that the discussions we are having on this list are making it one
of my absolute favorites, to get very thoughtful input and discussion...

  I agree. This is the kind of list that is a pure pleasure to be on simply
because of the talent and the fact that there is no "my gear is better than
your gear". This list is just one "wow" after another because of the images
that appear. I personally don't consider this a list, I consider all here as a
group of friends who could just as easily sit down over beers and enjoy the
same conversations.

I am in the Ted Grant school of photography... he is my mentor, and
usually I automatically do bw work, always have, and this will not
ever change...

  And a fine mentor he is-- of course give a guy a "how to" book, a couple of
interviews, and a DVD--send him to some exoctic locales where shots are a dime
a dozen for the taking eh what can I say ;-)

usually I am arguing with my wife, ' cus she wants color and I always
prefer bw...she wonders why...

  Been there, had the same argument- of course she also added "Where are the
people I'm not interested some dumb bird tree river or what ever I was shooting
at the time" Traded that one in for one who enjoys photography with me.

so all this is of rare and surprising interest and concern, as a)
these shots had a lot to offer in color, more than I expected...and B)
while the color may be pleasant and add something, I don't want it to
detract from the content and the message of the image....

  The color did add a different view from the ones that we usually see from you
and IMHO it did not detract.

so I am a bit confused on the one hand, by the praise, and on the
other hand, by the feeling that the color may distract from the
content, and the reason the image was made...

I generally don't take photos, because there are pretty colors; there
are exceptions, but I usually prefer to stay away from that,

  As the artist you have to go with what you feel will convey your feelings and
image reason the best. If you shoot meerly for the pretty colors it would be
nothing but a snapshot. If a flower or critter has pretty colors are you
shooting for the colors or the object with the pretty colors? Again conveyance
of your feelings.

> Regards
> YXAndy

Regards