[LRflex] Re: in the neurosurgical OR...4 images

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 18:33:37 -0700 (PDT)

Ted
  With conditions being what they are at work today(bad weather day at the
airport) I'll have to keep this brief.
  IMHO In this instance I did not find the color distracting in any way nor was
I drawn to the image because of the color. What I noticed was how I was drawn
towards the light. I flipped between your shots and Steve's as a comparison and
in both instances my eyes were drawn to a specific point in the picture by the
light--once there I found I took in the full picture to acertain what was
really going on. I cannot honestly say that I was drawn by either B&W or color.
  My feeling is when you are working on the level that you, Steve and others on
this list are working on, it doesn't matter whether the picture is color, B&W
or IR or what ever. You have the skills to convey the feeling and soul no
matter what genre. Your shot of Ben Johnson comes to mind as an example, when I
looked at it my eyes were drawn to the outstreched arm and extended finger, not
the color. Admittedly the color adds a bit of a wow factor. But the skill
levels here have progressed far above the old Nat Geo "red shirt" level.
  The "wow beautiful color" comments are something I personally save for when
I'm viewing someones vacation snaps. Unfortunately for myself I'm still trying
to master the basics "light eyes content. and then reproduce what I saw on the
computer screen

Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Steve Barbour
showed in colour:
Subject: [LRflex] in the neurosurgical OR...4 images

  the surgeon...
  http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/thesurgeon

  the anesthesiologist...
  http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/anesthesiaOR

  I can do this with my eyes closed...
  http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/eyes

  the hands...
  http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/hands2

  Hi Steve and others,
  Now we have an interesting potential for comparing colour image action in the
OR with B&W in similar action by clicking on this site:
  http://www.tedgrantphoto.com/Medical%20Images.htm

  Most of the comments about Steve?s series and his stand alone hands have
been.. ?Nice colour Steve? love the colour?beautiful colour etc. etc. on colour.
  Hardly one comment about the ?content, other than ?playing cards!?

  Please understand this isn?t a hit on Steve?s photography, because he?s one
cool shooter in any environment as we all know. But the opportunity for
comparison why in some cases B&W is all about the content and not the emotional
reactions of ?looking at colour.?

  Black and White is intellectual:
  "I love black and white. It?s strong and powerful, it makes me
  think and truly look at the photograph.  There are no colors getting in the
way of what I am examining! No colour distractions to take your eyes away from
the content or action!"

  Colour is sensual:
  Appealing to the eye/mental reaction of colour.
  Comments:   "Oh, look at the colour." is a common remark, which in turn
  illustrates not seeing the content beyond the colour. Not always, because
there are times when colour makes the picture. Sunsets, the clothes of India
and many other ?colour situations.?

  Now here we have added factors to our likes and dislikes of one over the
other, or do we?  So what say you folks?

  Is B&W intellectual and colour sensual?
  Are you more inclined to look at an image longer if it?s B&W? Or colour? Or
does it depend on the subject contained in the exposure?

  ted

   which when I add this page of B&W we have an interesting comparison of
colour vs B&W.
  Look here for B&W comparison images.

Regards
YXAndy