[LRflex] dumbfounded...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:28:18 -0700

Good Mornin', fellow Flexers...

I've been a bit quiet, these last few days, as I've been supporting Rose in her Camp Cook efforts out at Gottan Lake. This has largely kept me away from the computer and my camera.

However, when I first headed out to Gottan Lake, I passed a group of 5 or 6 photographers - all from a nearby camera club - shooting blue-birds in a field. A few days later, I passed a different group of photogs, in the same spot.

So, some days later, when I had a chance, I went back to that spot and, sure enough, within moments, a blue-bird appeared and I got this shot...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/B-Bird-2.htm

The key, here, is not the bird, but rather the reed he is perched on. For, after I'd taken a few shots and he moved on, I started to think about the reed. This was a farmer's field - and there were no such reeds for a dozen kilometers in any direction. I wandered closer. From the other side, this became visible.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/B-Bird-perch.htm

I looked around, and the place was filled with a half-dozen or more such reeds. A closer look showed that they were all within 20 feet (6 meters) of a man-made nesting box!

Now, I prefer to take my wildlife photos, in the wild .. no blinds, no bait stations, no tricks. There are many other ways to get a shot and I certainly do not feel my way is superior... it's just the way I like to do things. I like the idea of keeping the "wild" in wildlife photography.

To the credit of the group, as I returned from Gottan Lake, yesterday, they'd obviously been back and had removed all traces of both reeds and duct tape.

But it fascinated me, how far some folks will go to get a "natural looking" photo.

Cd&C welcomed, as always.

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net