[LRFlex] Re: digital-R back

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:46:05 -0800

Bill Barton wrote:

I think there was some concern on the coating of the sensor glass if the back was changed often, and cleaned alot?? But they also said that the coating on the glass was "like" a lens coating. But then we could not get them to remove the back at the LHSA meeting in Williamsburg.

Hi Bill!

Yes, it is this aspect of the DM-R, in particular, that worries me. If I owned one, I'd be changing from film to digi & back as I'm not about to buy a second R8 for it! Perhaps not twice a week, but often enough that this concern of Leica's would certainly concern me.

I have asked Leica about this, but so far, silence.

Is it the coating on the sensor? The dust problem? Perhaps the latch will not hold the sensor in it's proper place after that much wear? (Unlikely with the normal back, but I'll bet the digi-back weighs a fair bit more.)

I could almost live with that problem, if they'd tell me why. But silence begets fear without understanding. To me, it's the same as when they tell us that lenses without the 'R' cam will cause damage to an R-series camera. I've ever heard of it actually happening, though they won't work right either.

I'd love to know the real reason!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm