[LRflex] Was Rumours - now Body Count & Leica Speculation.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:52:35 -0700

Alex responded to Douglas, who said:

> >I use almost everything :-)
> >M2, M6, M4-2, CL, CLE (not quite Leica) IIIG, SL(several), SL2
> >(several), SL2Mot, R5 and R7, when I have time (usually about 3 to 4
> >weeks a year).
>

>Jaysus, Douglas, you're as bad as me! Last count was:
>
>LTM: 1926/27 I converted to III,  1932 Standard, IIIa, IIIf.
>M: M2 (2), M3, M4-P, M6, CL.
>R: SL, SL2 (2), R3 MOT.

I'm afraid that I'm just a "piker".  Over the years I've owned the
M3-DS, CL, R3, R5, R6, R8 (2) and DMR (3), but they're all long gone,
as I've upgraded.

Currently, I just have the SL and R9.

I know that Doug will tell us that the SL has the better finder (no
argument), but the lack of diopter adjustment is making it difficult
to use, for me, at least. I much prefer the R8/9 cameras, which are,
for me, the ideal camera ... nicest I've ever used!

>That's why I hope that a new digital R will not be too little too
>late, as was the case with the 'flexes. R&D is moving at such a pace
>in the DSLR field that it's going to be very difficult to offer a
>product from scratch that is even competitive, let alone a
>market-leader designwise.

Their "first" offering may not be totally competitive, despite their
aspirations and goals.  As you point out, the lead time to design
"from the ground up" is just too long.  But, if they design it right,
with room (both physically and electronically) for evolutionary
changes, their second offering might come just 12 months after the
first, offering more.   If they are wise enough to ensure backwards
compatibility with their earlier glass, and keep upgrading the
firmware on the first one, they'll find a market, first amongst their
aging core of supporters - enough to get them back in the game, at
least.  And later, with newer buyers, which will be the salvation of the firm.

If they can design the R10 to have the quality of the R8+DMR, with
the simplicity of operation of the M8, and the lens compatibility of
the D-200 and a sensor that is competitive at the pro-end of the
market (I suspect 20mp by then), they might do very well.  Even if
the first model has Focus Confirmation only (so it can be ignored by
the likes of Doug), but which will form the basis for an AF model
(necessary, in today's market place) to follow, they'll do very well,
I suspect.

If they can do it all with an R8/9 level finder, I might even forgive
them my R8/DMR debacle!

I must confess, that the LeiCanon 30D is no match for the DMR - and
the finder is adequate, but that's all.  However, I find myself
becoming very pleased with FC... with my failing eyesight, it makes
everything just a wee bit easier.  True, it may not be as accurate as
perfect manual focus, but it's as good as much of  *my* manual
focus... at least, these days!