[LRflex] Was Flying Lessons, now 80-200mm

  • From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:15:39 +1000

Thanks Bill,

After considering advice from the list I went ahead and purchased a
second hand 80-200 on ebay from "SH photo GmbH im Hause Fotomax" which I
believe received a load of R lenses from Leica once they had decided to
discontinue the R system.  I paid $1112 Australian dollars on best offer
including postage (approx $940 US) Seems like a fair price given the
market at the moment.  It has a few marks on the barrel but optics,
zoom, focus and aperture stops are all fine. Anyway the lens does not
disappoint.

I haven't had much chance to use the beast but I have posted a few
samples on flickr all taken hand held using a modified Sigma SD14 most
at f4.0, wide open. I have also a few rolls of film taken using an R7
which I will develop soon.

I can't get Doug's sharpness but I doubt this has anything to do with
the lens.  For those interested ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/sets/72157621805882335/

Advice requested.   I need a wide, either the 35mm Summicron or the 28mm
f2.8.  I wonder if the difference is merely light and width or whether
there is a character difference between the two lenses.  This would
influence my choice or should I just get both since life is too short.

Thanks

Walter

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 10:51 -0700, William B. Abbott III wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> Since 1986 I have bought and traded many Leica lenses, both M and R,
> all with some purpose in mind. The vast majority were used and I have
> never had anything to complain about yet.
>
> If I had it to do over, I would never have traded a lens but just hung
> on to it. Oh, well, what's done is done.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Bill
>

> On Jul 23, 2009, at 7:58 PM, walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > People may remember I asked for advice on the elmar-vario-r 80-200mm
> > f4.0 and
> > whether to get that lens in favour of the 180mm f2.8 Thanks to those
> > who responded.
> > I recently acquired this lens (the vario)second hand from eu-shphoto
> > but I have not
> > yet had a good chance to try it out. Browsing the net I came across
> > some comments
> > that indicated that there is noticable variation in quality between
> > these lenses.
> > Has anyone heard of this or can substantiate or is it merely web
> > chatter.
> >
> > Cheers
> > ------
> > Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
> >   http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.net/
> > Archives are at:
> >    //www.freelists.org/archives/leicareflex/

>    http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.net/