[LRflex] Re: WAS Krasnogorsk and M8 - NOW Ensign

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:01:33 +0200

Hi Keith -
I also own an Ensign. Mine is an Ensignette - British Made it says - and 1907 patent.
I bought it on the flea-market (Portobello?) in London back in 1975.
I fell in love with the tiny little thing - still works.
So if you have info on the camera, I'd be delighted to know.
Yours
Phil...x

KEITH LONGMORE wrote:

Howard
Really glad that you've finally got your M8 adventure over! Let's hope that this one proves better than the last one! :-) I'm sure it will - lightning never strikes in the same place twice - honest!

Fred
Yes, the Krasnogorsk was made solely for the KGB, between 1950 and 1990. (Krasnogorsk is actually the town that housed the factory). Unfortunately, it takes 30mm specially thin film, which was made only for, and only available to, the KGB. I don't have the opening button that screwed onto the lens housing or the remote control (mechanical); those parts are rare. It is sort of copied from the Robot (yes, I have one of those too!) but is much smaller, has no viewfinder (the sign of a genuine spy camera) and has a conventional shutter (the Robot has a cine shutter). Most of my cameras are spy and subminiature ones; I have three Minoxes, a Whittaker, a Ticka; three or four Ensign Midgets, including the silver King George V Jubilee one; a Sida; two Mikromas; a Steky and its telephoto lens; several Kiev 16mm cameras, including the JPS packet of cigarettes camera; a Coronet Midget; a Rollei 16; a Tessina; a Canon 110ED, and a Pentax 110 reflex kit.

Then there are the big ones: a 1938 Zeiss Ikoflex II; a Rolleiflex T; a 1930 Kodak Junior (the first camera with self-erecting standards); plus various Russian, Leica, Zeiss, Pentax, Canon, and a Robot. And I can't remember the others.....

God, I must have been mad, collecting that lot!! I restored some to working order - the Robot, Ikoflex, Kodak Junior, and the Pentax S1 that I bought when I was about 19, a Zenit E, and a 1937 FED 1. I love a challenge...
Cheers
Keith