[LRflex] Trouble in Paradise?

The other day, when out photographing my recently shown Red Wing
Blackbird, I got an error message from my Canon 30D

"Error 01 - Communication error between the camera and lens - clean contacts"

I immediately removed the lens and reinstalled it ... the mechanical
motion of this will clean some of the 'grunge' off the contacts. It
would work for 2 or 5 shots, then report the error again.  When I got
home, I cleaned the contacts with a commercial contact cleaner (I
have several left-over cans, having been in that business) and all is now well.

So far, I have only had this message when using the FC adapter and
Leica glass... though I imagine it could happen with any lens on a Canon.

But, it got me thinking.... when I travel by car, I can easily take a
spray can (they all seem to come in spray cans) of contact cleaner,
just in case.  But, when travelling overseas, spray cans are not a
viable option.

So, my questions are simple ones...

1) have other Canon users encountered this problem?

2) what do you use, to clean the contacts on your lenses...
especially when travelling?

Thanks, for all input and ideas.

Cheers!
---