[LRflex] Re: Trouble in Paradise?

  • From: Daniel Holmström <daddel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:28:11 +0200

Hello all!

My name is Daniel Holmström and I'm from Stockholm, Sweden. I've been
subscribing to the list for a long time, but have only replied to it
once before. And it didn't work, actually... but I thought this could be
an appropriate time to try again.

I have an R4s with 50 and 35 mm summicrons, that I have used daily for
five or six years now. I have carried it everywhere with me, along with
a couple of rolls of Tri-X. It's been in almost every country in Europe,
on tour with me and a moderately succesful indie-popband I play with.
But my little camera is actually starting to fall apart, and just
recently the hot shoe came off! I fix everything with black electrical
tape, because a moderately succesful pop musician can't afford a decent
camera repair.

When I recently decided to go digital (finally!) I went with the Canon
350D/Rebel XT, using an adapter from Roxsen with a focus confirmation
strip. (Shortly after that I also bought a magnyfying eyepiece from KPS
to see what was actually in the frame.)

When I recieved the adapter it didn't seem to work at all. I only got
"Error 01 - Communication error between the camera and lens - clean
contacts", as David Young describes. It was worse than a non-chipped
adapter, because the camera didn't function at all! I thought it was
glue or some mysterious residue on the contacts, but cleaning them
didn't work. So I took the lens off, mounted only the adapter in place,
and realized that the alignment of the contacts was off by a millimeter
or so. I tried putting the adapted lens on again, but this time I
stopped just before the pin locked it in place, and voila - it worked!
So instead of having a precious lens mounted loose on the camera, I used
an old razorblade to cut the chip off, and then glued it back on a
millimeter to the side. Now it works fine.

So have a close look at the alignment of the contacts, Mr. Young. It
might work fine most of the time, but if there is any play in the locked
position of the mount pin, then that might throw the cameras electrical
connections into a fit. My camera did that and froze up completely - I
even had to remove the battery to get it working again. Anyway, that's
my two öre's worth.

Thank you all who keep up on your writing and picture posting on this
list! It's great to read and most of all to see your pictures!

Regards
/Daniel