[LRFlex] Re: Tilt and Shift

Hi Xavier,

Recently, you wrote:

> Hello To All
>
> I have come across this web site :
> http://araxfoto.com/specials/tilt-shift-35/
>
> It describes a tilt / shift lens.
>
> On Ebay, the price for these ARSAT are not too expensive.
>
> Any one has used these special lenses (from Leica or third party). Any
> example?

I've not used either the Leica or third party PC lens on a Leica, but I
have used PC lenses on other cameras. I suspect that the better quality
glass will provide better quality images, as they do in the case of
"normal" lenses. If your needs can be met at a reduced quality, then you
may save some money.

> Reading a book about digital Photo technique, I've seen that Photo
> shop has a menu for persepective control. So, are those lens really
useful?

If you only require PC once in a very long while (as I do), the Photoshop
perspective controls may be sufficient. However, it is a compromise, and
does degrade the image quality somewhat. The degradation is similar to
re-sampling, in that it uses algorithms to fill in and truncate pixels to
accommodate the "warped" image. This softens the image somewhat.

If you feel that you'll be doing a lot of architectural work, an actual PC
lens will produce noticeably better results. But, then, so will a larger
film format.  ;-)

Regards,

Neil

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm