[LRflex] Thunderstorm last night

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:31:26 -0700

We had a small thunderstorm roll through at dusk yesterday.  I have never seen
lightning at this time of the day, where there was still some color in the sky
and clouds, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I shot 50 frames and only caught
lightning on two of them.  Had the camera (Rebel XTi) set on sequential
exposure, and the shutter at 5 or 8 seconds, and the cable release clicked on
so I did not have to stand there.  It would fire one shot, then write it to
disk then fire the next shot.  Last time I did this was with my R8 and motor
winder and it worked well.  Problem with the digital Rebel is that after each 5
second exposure it took about 10 seconds to write the info to the card before
it took the next shot.  So, I missed about 66% of the time.  And, every time I
saw a great bolt, I looked over to the camera and it was still writing the
previous exposure.  Drats.  Maybe a 50 D would write faster?  I think it has
something to do with the null exposure when using long shutter speeds.  Maybe I
could turn that off if I looked at the manual.

did catch this one, however.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/-7.jpg.html

comments and criticism welcome.

Aram