[LRflex] Re: The other R10 - Leica User Forum

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:21:35 +0200

David Young wrote:

G'Mornin' Douglas!

You wrote:

Lack of quality assurance is the most interesting :-)

Where do you see this, in the posts? Personally, I have always found the QA to be excellent, on the R5 and later. Of course if you're talking about the R10 being built in cooperation with Minolta/Sony or Panashiba, then it's possible they could have a disaster like they early R4. However, I believe that the R10 will be an all Solms undertaking, as was the R8/9/S2.

Now, if the R10 is based on the R7 (not the R8/9 - a design catastrophe - in spite of its excellent ergonomics) they may have a customer for an R10.

Having owned both the R8 and R9, I can only agree that they are superbly performing cameras, with outstanding ergonomics. (I actually liked their looks!) But they were still large, and heavy. I'd much prefer the form-factor of the R4 through 7. If Pentax can do what they did with the K10/K20, then there is no reason that Leica cannot make the R10 in the size of the R7. My one concern with a smaller body is the size of the pentaprism. Although I do not understand the optics/physics of it all, I do know that (all other things being equal) a larger pentaprism will result in a brighter finder. I think that to be successful, the finder must be as good as the R8/9 finder, though Doug will still want one of the SL quality. ;-) If they can achieve that, in a smaller body, then I, too, may be a customer, even after the experiences I've had at the hands of Leica.

With the help of a light amplifier if it is an electronic VF, a lot more can be expected - manual focus at night ;-) R4-7 are too small and large fingers or hands have problems with the buttons/switches - try changing ISO on an R4 ... more, without the grip they're useless on the field. The R8/9 is king size, but workable, a better grip on the right hand side would be a plus plus - R9 was lighter, so why not, looks like S2 after all, or is the converse truer?

Ph

David Young, Logan Lake, CANADA

Limited Edition Prints at: www.furnfeather.net <http://www.furnfeather.net/> Personal Web-site at: www.main.furnfeather.net <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>

NO ARCHIVE