[LRflex] The Polarthon

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:00:12 -0800

Yesterday was the start of our week-long Polar Carnival.

The lead-off event, is the Polarthon... a 2.5km skate, 2.5km run and a 7.5km X-country ski. Younger kids, do it as a relay team, though some go with the adults and "run" the whole course. It is run on one of the few, long-track speed skating ovals in western Canada. Carved out of Logan Lake, itself, it is a regulation 400 meter oval, as opposed to the 111 meter short-track ovals found in most ice arenas.

So we start with the skate... (Note the wig ... most participants don't take the Polarthon too seriously...)

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon1.html

While most have proper speed skates, many kids are followed by their dads, on hockey skates.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon2.html

Some even try to race on figure skates!

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon3.html

Nobody said the run to the ski hill would be easy...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon4.html

By the end of the ski, many were exhausted...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon5.html

While others simply found it a challenge to stay upright ...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Polarthon6.html

C&C welcomed, as always.