[LRflex] Re: Summicron lens on FourThirds (Revisited)

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:01:31 +0100

Hello David, All

As we say in French, "I've come after the battle is over" but I made two
pictures, rather similar to yours for a Summilux 50:
http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/clearance/Summlux_50.jpg

and a Summicron 35:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/clearance/Summicron_35.jpg

The pencil is set where the focus chip should be.

Obviously, either the russian chip is thin or I'll never focus to infinity.
Oops  :-(

Of course, the Elmarit 24mm and the vario Elmar have no problems, the first
because the diameter of the rear element is smaller, the second because, the
rear element is not protubing nor it moves.

FWIW :)---------------------------------Xavier F. BILLE Maisons-Alfort - France.

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:27:57 -0700To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [LRflex] Summicron lens on FourThirds
(Revisited)now (on list or private mail) what lenses you have that have this
"lip" or "ridge" sticking out the back.Some days ago, I posted the following:
For those who are interested in this sort of arcane stuff...A photo, showing
the problem of the "lip" on a old style 50mm Summicron hitting the FC chip on
the Leica-R to 4/3rds adapter, can be seen
at:http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lip.htmThis "lip" is, I am sure, on the lens so
that when the lens is put down, rear element down, the element will not contact
the surface, thus preventing scratches.  On a Leica, or even on a Canon, this
lip does not get in the way.  But, with the Focus confirmation adapters for the
4/3rds cameras, when the lens barrel is moved towards the film plane, the "lip"
hits the FC chip. :-(Finally, I got a chance to measure the adapter...
(finally found my metric rule... and some time!) The inside "throat" of the
Leica R to Four Thirds adapter is 42.5mm.However, the Focus confirmation chip
sticks into this gap a full 6mm, so any lens with a lip equal or larger to
42.5-12mm = 30.5mm in diameter, will be unable top focus to infinity,  due to
the "lip" or "guard" hitting the FC chip.It seems there are only two solutions
for such lenses.  Either (a) grind the lip off - or at least that part of it
which interferes with the chip, or (b) purchase an adapter without the focus
confirmation chip. To more clearly explain this, I have added a diagram at the
bottom of http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lip.htmIf anyone here has a better idea,
I'm open to all of 'em!Cheers!
Discover the new Windows Vista