[LRflex] Summicron 50mm take apart?

  • From: Steve Lang <stevelang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:57:05 -0700

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a Leicaflex SL and 50mm Summicron for a relative song
on EBay (well, compared to M prices...) I've always been intrigued with
Leica, but simply don't have the means to get a film or digital M + lenses.
I will primarily be shooting the Summicron with a Canon DSLR + Leica adapter
(the new focus confirmation adapters are pretty neat, couldn't do it
otherwise.) The Leicaflex is a very nice body, love the finder (some dirt
spots but still easy to focus) so I will have to 'force' myself to shoot
some rolls soon.

It's basically a "user" lens and camera. The camera is fine, the lens has
some small marks on the front element (not a big deal.) There also appears
to be 1 or 2 specks of dust/particles inside the lens. So my question today
is, is it possible (or even desirable) to unscrew/take apart the lens? I
thought I had read somewhere that this lens actually comes apart quite
easily. If so, I thought I might try to get rid of those 1 or 2 flecks
inside. If not, no worries- in my very brief usage so far the lens is fine.

I unfortunately haven't shot enough to really get a good impression of the
lens yet. My main point of comparison is going to be the Canon 50mm f1.8 (as
I said I'm on a budget!) This is not actually so far-fetched a comparison,
considering the price I paid for the Summicron (minus the Leicaflex, roughly
speaking) is about the same as the price of a new Canon 50 1.8. I took a few
shots of the kids in the backyard today, but it was starting to get dark and
my shutter speeds were 1/15 or so. Amazingly I had a couple of shots that
turned out surprisingly sharp considering the shutter speed and 50mm * 1.6x
crop factor for the Summicron. The keepers are not critically sharp shots,
but they're a lot sharper than I would ever expect handheld 1/15 to be- I
attribute that partly to the lens and partly to luck. Color and rendition
(contrast) looked great, but need more shooting to really assess this
aspect. But I can already tell the bokeh is much better! ;-)

Thanks,
Steve