[LRflex] Re: Steve etc

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:14:13 -0700

On Aug 15, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Andy Wagner wrote:

Keith
It is a sorry world we live in. We have the technology to share its beauty with more people faster than ever before. Unfortunatly a few sicko's have destroyed it for many. It is a sorry state when one must fear these things(the fear is real on both sides of the pond). I do see your point.

My images of children pay respect to them, memorialize them, often celebrate them...

They are photographed with permission and often under the most difficult and threatening conditions, and yes a significant number of the children in my photos are no longer alive...

and yes, I am the photographer but also one of the treating physicians of these children...

I have had many parents whose children are alive, and many whose children have died, thank me ...as my images of their children are their most precious possessions...

I certainly do understand the point you have made Keith...

but I feel that the worms who are our leaders, and the perverts who may be our fellow citizens will not control our lives, and our ability to see beauty and celebrate heroism...

Steve

KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Steve, David, Doug, Ted
Well, Doug got it right! I asked, because, (a) I didn't know what you
did regarding permissions; (b) because there are very strict rules for
doctors here; and (c) there's a lot of negative comment / attitude /
reactions from authorities and 'interested parties' here regarding
photographing children. For 'interested parties' read people with a,
usually, political axe to grind. We do tend to have a rather different
view of the world to people in N America, and that doesn't imply that
either is right or wrong.

As a parent of a now grown up daughter, I, like many other parents a
couple of decades or more ago, took photographs of my daughter having a
bath when she was about 2 or 3. Doing so now could get me (or other
parents, of course) into a lot of trouble, if it came to the attention
of the police. Putting any pictures of children into a public forum if
say, the children were in a swimming bath or on a beach, could also be
unwise. Many amateur photographers report being stopped and told by
security guards or policemen that photography is not allowed - often in
public places (as opposed to on private property.) Indeed, many
apparently public places, e.g. shopping malls, are privately owned, and
their security guards will come down hard on anyone taking photographs
inside them. Some people have had films taken off them, memory cards
erased, or even the camera confiscated under these circumstances.

Ken Livingstone, Lord Mayor of London, wanted to have notices put up in
parks warning people to be on the look out for, and reporting to the
authorities, people taking photographs of children, 'because they may be
paedophiles'. However ridiculous, this is dangerous stuff! It's asking
for vigilantes to start beating up innocent photographers, isn't it?

One of my friends took an old family photo of his deceased grandmother
to Jessops Photographic, and asked for it to be copied. The immediate
reaction was 'have you got permission from the subject?' He told the
assistant that she was long dead, so permission might be a bit
problematic. They wouldn't do the job. Another outfit did it without
question, as it happens.

In the UK, Political Correctness rules, OK? Whilst on holiday in
Majorca, last year and in 2005, I took photographs of some local kids
having a whale of a time on bikes. I wouldn't dare do it here nowadays!

So now perhaps you understand my curiosity?

Now: Leica's future. Whilst, Ted, I understand your viewpoint, I for
one would be sorry to see Leica go the way of many other famous
companies. Yes, people speculate; they are bound to - that's human
nature, isn't it? Yes, I'm sure Leica will go their own way regardless
of what anyone on this forum says; that's their prerogative. But 'worry about it'? I would postulate that those who worry are those with new or nearly new Leica kit that might go wrong in the future and Leica may not
be there to fix it or supply spares. They have a right to be worried,
given the scale of their investment in Leica. I guess everyone will
cease to speculate when Leica gets its 'rear end' into gear, and gets
new product on the market. Then, it'll either be great; well, maybe; or
oh my God...! And the die will be cast, for better or worse!
And, Ted, whilst you're entitled to your opinion as to the worth of this
country, may I remind you, with all due respect, that you probably
wouldn't be a Canadian but for this country's past history! (Unless, of course, you come from native American stock....or perhaps French stock..
;-) )
Cheers
Keith Longmore

Regards