[LRflex] Stealing a German car.....

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:31:48 +0100

Douglas and Sonny writ:

BTW, the latest car-theft statistics in Germany reveal that the Trabi
is  indeed still very popular - Porsche leads the insurers statistics
and is followed by the Trabi before BMW, Audi and MB (No joke!!!)

They are stealing them for the parts to keep other Trabbies running.
;-)

Stealing Trabis I can understand. The East German joke goes about the worker who had fulfilled his norm many years running, and could at last order his Trabi.

He was told that it would be delivered on a Wednesday ten years hence.

"Would that be morning or afternoon?", he enquired of the Trabi salesman.

"I don't know," said the guy, "Why are you asking?"

"Well," said the proud Trabi-owner-to-be, "the plumber's coming in the morning."

Doug - I amazed by your theft stats. I have a 19 year old BMW with a very ancient on-board computer. I punch in a four figure code and set it, and then alarm the car as usual. Unless someone knows my code, there's no way it's going to start. I know this from bitter experience, as my lovely wife punched in the wrong code (which she then couldn't, of course, remember), and it took me two hours with alarms going off over all the place at fifteen minute intervals to put things right.

These days they have even more complicated electronic keys, as I'm sure Porsche do, so how on earth are the thieves hacking in so easily?

I thought these days that thieves were having to pick out older and less complicated machinery.

OTOH I'm just trying to work out how to build an alarm system into my Leica III... :-)

Best

Alex

--
Alex & Carmel Hurst