[LRFlex] Speculation on the R-10D

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:17:25 -0800

All:

I'd like to think that Leica will do well with the digi-back. Perhaps not making a fortune, but if they recover, from sales, enough money to go on to build the R-10D, we might all win.

Think of it...

The R8/9 body, but with the wind mechanisms removed (shutter cocking is done by a motor in the base, as in the DM-R).

Remember, the Japanese removed the manual wind mechanism from their motorized cameras years go, as it's not the manual wind that costs, but rather the high cost of clutches etc, that must be fail safe, so that a motorized camera does not use the wind lever to poke an eye out! Removing this gear saves a substantial amount of money!

A slight change in the finder optics to make the smaller format match the image size of the current screen would, of course, be needed.

No need for a base plate, and much simpler internal connections, both electrically and mechanically, as the base would not be removable.

If the claimed superiority in freedom from noise, dynamic range, sensitivity, etc., prove true; and with much of the huge R&D costs paid for, I suspect it could be produced for not a lot more than the DM-R itself. If so, it could quickly become a heavyweight in the top-end of the field. Where Leica belongs!

What a concept!  :)

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm