[LRflex] Re: Red-brick Gothic....shifting tides to Black Gondolas

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:19:15 +0100

Hi Eric, so have I,
in fact the Rolleinars are not bad lenses either when used on my 20D, only the 4/80-200mm zoom tends towards fringes around high contrast elements. I don't have all that many Zeiss lenses for it because I don't see much point in duplicating the ones I've got with Contax/Yashica mounts. You're right, it is an engineers dream - and a very courageous step in leaving the well trodden paths of SLR design. It should actually have revolutionised the market. The Venice set is wonderful, particularly the Gondola reflections, which looks as if it was painted by an abstract artist. And Dusk is one I would have liked to have shot too.
Cheers
Douglas

LEICAFLEX wrote:
Hi Douglas,
Enjoyed your series too!  I'm a great fan of the Rolleiflex 3003 and
CZ lenses.  In fact, I have a converter to use these CZ Rollei "QBM
mount" lenses on the Canon DSLR.  My past experience with
Velvia/Sensia/Ektachrome loaded onto the 3003 leads me to never want
to sell my Rollei 3003 kit even though the convenience of digital
erodes away on the "quality time" that I used to spend with this
camera. As an engineer, I just love the modular design of this system.
I've actually shot more with this 3003 system than any other SLR
system.

Allow me to share some pleasant memories with the list.  Here are
examples taken in Venice in 1999 with a Rolleiflex 3003 camera and
25mm Distagon lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331476658/in/set-72157594435520065

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331485858/in/set-72157594435520065

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331485681/in/set-72157594435520065

and here are 2 taken with the 85mm 1.4 HFT Planar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331485723/in/set-72157594435520065

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331485814/in/set-72157594435520065

The monochromes were scanned from Tri-X neg.'s then tinted in Corel
Photopaint.

Cheers!
Eric

On 19/03/2008, Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, David, and thanks for taking a look.
 The shots are taken more or less straight of the CD I got back from the
 lab - of course they don't tell you what scanning parameters they used
 in the way of shapening (I suspect they did a lot of that - a little too
 much for my liking) and possibly tweaked the contrast too. I'm thinking
 of running them through my own scanner when I have time to see if
 there's a difference. In fact, on one scan on the CD the tarmac of the
 road was violet, even though the scans of the neighbouring negatives
 were ok as far as the colour is concerned - I reckon the predominant red
 of the shot (bricks) screws up their automatic processing.
 If I get a chance, the big Rollei (6006) will get taken out for a walk
 soon - I'm looking forward to seeing some BIG slides again.
 Cheers
 Douglas