[LRflex] Re: Reading the LR2 manual.....

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:50:25 -0700

On Oct 2, 2008, at 2:35 PM, wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Steve, it might be helpful to recall the anger and frustration of Nikon users before the D3 and D700 were announced. A very common sentiment was that Nikon was hopelessly behind the competition, they were ignoring the needs of their loyal customers, and their silence was an insult to their
fans.  Does this sound familiar?

IMHO the S2 is a brilliant move on Leica's part: they saw a hole in the market that Leica is uniquely suited to fill, and that nobody else appeared to be moving in that direction. It doesn't do much, if anything, for the existing M or R user, but it should bring new users to the brand and the technology developed for the S2, paid for by S2 sales (assuming the market
next year will support ANY camera sales) will be very usable and more
affordable in future M and R system cameras because of economies of scale.

We're beginning to see the effects of economies of scale in the Summarit-M lenses, and, as Peter Karbe explained in David Farkas' Photokina blog, in
many of the new M ASPH and APO lenses.

I am also frustrated that the R10 is taking so long to be developed, but I believe that Leica'sxperience with the S2 technology and development will result in a better R10 and M9 than if Leica had not pursued the S2 market.

Doug,  I hope that argument will come to fruition...Steve

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com