[LRflex] Re: Reading the LR2 manual.....

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:25:53 -0700

Agree with Doug as to D700 since you already have glass for it.  5D or another
Canon would not be a good option unless you plan on using your R glass wide
open only.  It is a hastle to try to outguess the camera if you stop it down.
It will not meter correctly.  The more you stop it down, the more compensation
you will need or it will overexpose your photos.  This is true if you meter in
either A or in M mode.  The camera will lie to you.  Only safe way is to use M
mode wide open, then just count your stops as you stop down.  If you stop down
3 stops, you need to increase the shutter time by 3 stops and ignore what the
meter is telling you, because it will be showing an underexposure.  A PITA, but
as I had no other glass to use other than Leica or Rollei SL-35, I went that
route.  I did not know about the meter problems when I bought my Canon body.
If I had it all to do again, I would probably do it the same because, again, I
had Leica glass.  If I had Nikon glass I would have gone Nikon.  I would get a
Nikon now, but no funds for two digitals.  I am patient and will wait and save
for an R10.  From what I have been hearing it will fulfil my needs and drain my
pockets.

Aram> From: wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 10:57:28 -0400> Subject: [LRflex] Re: Reading the LR2
manual.....> > Frank Filippone <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > > I use a lot
of wides, and only a few long lenses. So I want to go as> wide as > >
possible... the largest sensor possible is important to me to provide> that .>
> In that case consider the D700, since you already have some Nikkors. Olys>
would require some new wide 4/3 lens(es) because the sensor is only 25% the>
size of 35mm film, crop factor 2. A Canon 5D is another option as long as> your
R lenses will clear the 5D's mirror. Any R lens that works on the SL> is a good
candidate for the 5D.> > Doug Herr> Birdman of Sacramento>
http://www.wildlightphoto.com> >