[LRflex] Re: Reading the LR2 manual.....

  • From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 10:17:07 -0700

This is certainly an option... but wait till the R10 price becomes
apparent.....   I am not afraid of the used R lens prices.  They are
manageable.  ( new lenses?  You gotta be kidding me....!)

I guess another comment could be to use R-whatever ( or is that SL
whatever?)  with film... at least I could get the R glass...... and be no
worse off than my Nikon F4 body......
This may be an option....  but not digital, a major reason to start the
switch....

I would like to get down to 1 system... I got into the M stuff when we were
traveling.  It is lighter, and I tuned my outfit for that lightness.
however, stuff happens, and we are traveling not at all these past about 5
years.  It may open up again for travel in about 3 more years......  and
maybe not at all.

I would like to have a SLR ( framing and out of center of field focus
checks) with the lightness and compactness of the  M6, but with the same
quality optics.  Did I forget to add.. if I do the switch, and digital?  I
can handle a bit more volume and weight, but I do not want a huge body ( My
F4 is too big, an F5 is bigger..... the D700 is I think the same as My
F4....and the D3 is WAY too ginormous.) .  And I hate those gawd-awful AF
zoom lenses.....  way too big.  AF is not an issue.. I simply am not
interested.  My MF Nikkor lenses  are the maximum size I want....

Maybe I am asking for too much.......R glass, small body, digital.  A
Leicaflex-R/SL CL-D?  MiniLeicaFlex-SL/D?  You get the idea.....

I may have to be satisfied with waiting for the M9...... at least it will
have a FF sensor... ( Did you hear that Solms?  The M9 WILL HAVE a 24x36
sensor...!  Oh, and forget those stupid IR filters.....give me the IR coated
glass cover plate... and stop turning a bad (customer service and
useability) decision into a "feature".....)

Lots to ponder, lots to wait on.....

BTW, for those about to tell me to switch to digital now, to save money
right now.. I am using maybe 50 rolls a year.  At $20 a roll developed and
printed or scanned or just transparencied....a  switch to digital will never
save me money......  at this stage of my life.  And a $20 bill is a lot
easier to find in my pocket 50 times a year than a $2K-5K bill is, ever.

Luckily I have both time and no necessity to do this.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Or an older film R body & try a few R lenses.  If they work out
as well as you've expected, when the R10 becomes available the cash outlay
would be only for the body, not body + lenses.

> There is an underlying element here that I would also switch from RF ( M6)
> to SLR.....  for most if not all my photography.

I'm curious why the switch, particularly since you're interested more in
wides than in longs.

Doug Herr